From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Relocating notification popup KDE-4.5
Date: Mon, 27 Dec 2010 23:09:50
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:35 on Tuesday 30 November 2010, Alex
4 >
5 > Schuster did opine thusly:
6 > > Alan McKinnon writes:
7 > > > Activities. wtf are those?
8 > >
9 > > I tink they are really cool, although I don't use them, and probably
10 > > never will. But I'm not the average user. I have six virtual desktops
11 > > (current screenshots are at
12 > > http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2010-11-11/ ), each one has its
13 > > purpose. For each window you can define the desktop it will run on.
14 > > You change the desktop, and you get new windows displayed, while the
15 > > plasmoids stay the same.
16 > >
17 > > With activities it's the other way around. You switch the activity, and
18 > > the windows stay the same, but you get different plasmoids.
19 >
20 > That's a decent explanation, thanks a lot. I can see how some folks would
21 > like that and why it's been coded.
22
23 In case you're still interested, this blog entry has some more information
24 on activities:
25
26 http://chani.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/activity-oriented-vs-application-oriented-workspaces/
27
28 It also covers differences in Gnome's and KDE's approach to this activity stuff.
29
30 Wonko