From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Relocating notification popup KDE-4.5
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 07:33:03
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 01:08 on Tuesday 28 December 2010, Alex
2 Schuster did opine thusly:
3
4 > Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Apparently, though unproven, at 18:35 on Tuesday 30 November 2010, Alex
6 > >
7 > > Schuster did opine thusly:
8 > > > Alan McKinnon writes:
9 > > > > Activities. wtf are those?
10 > > >
11 > > > I tink they are really cool, although I don't use them, and probably
12 > > > never will. But I'm not the average user. I have six virtual desktops
13 > > > (current screenshots are at
14 > > > http://www.wonkology.org/comp/desktop/2010-11-11/ ), each one has its
15 > > > purpose. For each window you can define the desktop it will run on.
16 > > > You change the desktop, and you get new windows displayed, while the
17 > > > plasmoids stay the same.
18 > > >
19 > > > With activities it's the other way around. You switch the activity, and
20 > > > the windows stay the same, but you get different plasmoids.
21 > >
22 > > That's a decent explanation, thanks a lot. I can see how some folks would
23 > > like that and why it's been coded.
24 >
25 > In case you're still interested, this blog entry has some more information
26 > on activities:
27 >
28 > http://chani.wordpress.com/2010/12/26/activity-oriented-vs-application-orie
29 > nted-workspaces/
30 >
31 > It also covers differences in Gnome's and KDE's approach to this activity
32 > stuff.
33
34 Good find, it does answer some questions! (especially in the comments).
35
36 I tend to agree with the long post by user Fri13; to a casual observer my life
37 and desktop looks nicely organized and everything one-to-one mapped to
38 something else. In reality, it's just like everyone else - a mish-mash
39 collection of stuffs that somehow makes sense in my head.
40
41 So I looked long and hard at this, and found that my desktop is *taskbar-
42 centric* - it's my primary way of organizing things. Apps are spread across 6
43 virtual desktops in a very ad-hoc style - amarok is on desktop 6 (where it's
44 out of the way), kontact on desktop 2 (where it can be full screen), konsole
45 sticky on the right hand side of all desktops (where I can see it everywhere),
46 and all browsers usually end up on desktop 1 with large numbers of tabs each.
47 Note there's no common method to this madness :-)
48
49 Like most people, my work is never nicely categorized by Activity - it's too
50 fluid and changeable and too subject to my mood and how I feel today. I also
51 don't like abstracting away the specific app used for a function, I do care
52 whether it's gwenview, okular or digiKam that's loaded an image. They are not
53 mere apps, they are tools, and I'm always aware of what tool I'm using.
54 There's a parallel in the real world - to cut a piece of steel in my workshop
55 I can use any one of several tools and they are NOT interchangeable; to cut a
56 2" square tube to length I *do* want the angle grinder and not the hacksaw, so
57 I chose the tool myself and do not have it handed to me by some magic
58 selector. Apps are similar, they have their strengths and weaknesses and I
59 usually know which one I want.
60
61 So now I do understand Activities better. It can be a good idea and I'd like
62 to see some usage experts survey it extensively to make it more obvious how it
63 works. One function that comes to mind which I would use is to return the
64 desktop to a prior state. I often work from home and then want my apps
65 arranged the same way I have them at work.
66
67 But for now I think I'll just continue the way I always have with a good old
68 Unix virtual desktop setup and KDE session manager.
72 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com