From: Roger Mason <rmason@×××××××.ca>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage update bloacked
Date: Tue, 01 Jul 2008 11:24:43
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> writes:
4 >> Well, in the end I decided to play very straight and use a more
5 >> up-to-date install CD. I'm currently installing from 2008.0_beta2,
6 >> so far without any problems.
7 >
8 > For the record, this turns out to be a fairly straightforward blocker. A
9 > recent version of portage uses new features in a recent bash, and
10 > Alex's suggestion will work just fine. I recently had to update 10+ old
11 > machines around this entirely trouble free.
12 >
13 > But using a more recent CD is probably the better idea, it's entirely
14 > possible to manoeuvre through two years of updates, but it's kinda
15 > pointless if you have a better base system at hand :-)
16
17 For the record, the installation was painless and fast with
18 2008.0_beta2. My only reason for using an old install initially CD was to
19 retain compatibility with the older gcc versions on my distcc compile
20 farm. As it turned out, that was not a problem at all.
21
22 Thanks to all.
23
24 Roger