From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is GNOME_MixerAapplet
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2005 22:17:28
1 At Sun, 10 Jul 2005 22:52:36 +0200 Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl> wrote:
2
3 > Allan Gottlieb schreef:
4 >> Mark Knecht suggests just telling gnome to delete the mixer from my
5 >> panel config and install in manually, which I may well do (thanks
6 >> mark).
7 >
8 > I think that's how I fixed it too-- although the gnome mixer isn't all
9 > that useful as a mixer (compared to alsamixer, or gamixer), it is useful
10 > to be sure that *GNOME* is correctly set up for sound (the mixer acts
11 > like the canary in the mines; if it won't load, or errors with the 'no
12 > device found' business, you can be sure that no GNOME/GTK applications
13 > which normally produce sound, will).
14
15 Good point
16
17 >> I am sure I can find some mixer somewhere, but would prefer to
18 >> actually find this one.
19 >
20 > Right click on the panel; Add to Panel=>Mixer should be somewhere in the
21 > list; if not, then check in the 'Pre-existing Gnome Packages' section
22 > (but I think it's in the first list).
23
24 No. It really wasn't there, i.e. the binary wasn't present. I
25 followed your advice and went to bugzilla. This sent me to the forums
26 and the hint that the gstreamer USE is important. I set this and did
27 the requisite emerges. Now sounds do come up but I get the "no device
28 found" you mentioned above. I shall pursue this.
29
30 The mixer still does not appear when I do "add to panel". I don't see
31 "pre-existing gnome packages". What (and where) is it?
32
33 > In any case, very few, if any, of the former gnome-applets seem to be
34 > runnable as commands any more. And the most recent gnome-panel (2.10.2)
35 > is so buggy-- even for GNOME-- that I've had to go back to fbpanel,
36 > which at least doesn't crash all the time due to some problem with the
37 > system notification area... instead of getting better (it used to be
38 > that the panel would crash in the mixer applet all the time, until you
39 > got the GNOME backend straightened out, but after that it was pretty
40 > stable-- no more, it seems). So this problem really could be anything,
41 > but I will say that the mixer applet worked fine once I (working from
42 > memory):
43 >
44 > 1) went to the GNOME control panel and made sure esd was set to start at
45 > GNOME login, which I believe also needed
46 >
47 > 2) the esound daemon running in the default runlevel
48 >
49 > and then
50 >
51 > 3) deleted and re-added the mixer applet.
52 >
53 > Problem was I didn't really want to be running the Enlightened Sound
54 > Daemon, so I somehow or other reconfigured everything to be ALSA instead
55 > (took esound out of the default runlevel, and *thought* I told GNOME not
56 > to start esd at startup, but it persists in doing so, went to the GNOME
57 > Control Panel=>Multimedia and Sound, and mucked about with the sources
58 > and sinks until I could at least get test sounds), and the mixer applet
59 > continued to work (although the panel itself was notoriously unstable).
60 > If you can follow all that <sigh>... it was a bit of a trial. Hope it's
61 > helpful.
62
63 Helpful, as always ... and as always, thanks.
64
65 allan
66 --
67 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list