From: Holly Bostick <motub@××××××.nl>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Where is GNOME_MixerAapplet
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2005 20:59:47
1 Allan Gottlieb schreef:
2 > Mark Knecht suggests just telling gnome to delete the mixer from my
3 > panel config and install in manually, which I may well do (thanks
4 > mark).
5
6 I think that's how I fixed it too-- although the gnome mixer isn't all
7 that useful as a mixer (compared to alsamixer, or gamixer), it is useful
8 to be sure that *GNOME* is correctly set up for sound (the mixer acts
9 like the canary in the mines; if it won't load, or errors with the 'no
10 device found' business, you can be sure that no GNOME/GTK applications
11 which normally produce sound, will).
12
13 > I am sure I can find some mixer somewhere, but would prefer to
14 > actually find this one.
15
16 Right click on the panel; Add to Panel=>Mixer should be somewhere in the
17 list; if not, then check in the 'Pre-existing Gnome Packages' section
18 (but I think it's in the first list).
19
20 In any case, very few, if any, of the former gnome-applets seem to be
21 runnable as commands any more. And the most recent gnome-panel (2.10.2)
22 is so buggy-- even for GNOME-- that I've had to go back to fbpanel,
23 which at least doesn't crash all the time due to some problem with the
24 system notification area... instead of getting better (it used to be
25 that the panel would crash in the mixer applet all the time, until you
26 got the GNOME backend straightened out, but after that it was pretty
27 stable-- no more, it seems). So this problem really could be anything,
28 but I will say that the mixer applet worked fine once I (working from
29 memory):
30
31 1) went to the GNOME control panel and made sure esd was set to start at
32 GNOME login, which I believe also needed
33
34 2) the esound daemon running in the default runlevel
35
36 and then
37
38 3) deleted and re-added the mixer applet.
39
40 Problem was I didn't really want to be running the Enlightened Sound
41 Daemon, so I somehow or other reconfigured everything to be ALSA instead
42 (took esound out of the default runlevel, and *thought* I told GNOME not
43 to start esd at startup, but it persists in doing so, went to the GNOME
44 Control Panel=>Multimedia and Sound, and mucked about with the sources
45 and sinks until I could at least get test sounds), and the mixer applet
46 continued to work (although the panel itself was notoriously unstable).
47 If you can follow all that <sigh>... it was a bit of a trial. Hope it's
48 helpful.
51 > This seems to be a bug. Should I file it with gentoo (perhaps bad
52 > packaging) or with gnome?
53
54 This mixer applet issue has been going on a long time... I'd check
55 Bugzilla first, and see if it has been filed (probably) and what's the
56 current status (for all I know, Gentoo could be waiting for an upstream
57 patch, which they usually note in b.g.o. Afaik, the procedure is to file
58 it with Gentoo, always, and if it's an upstream problem, the gnome
59 maintainers will pass it forward.
60
61 HTH,
62 Holly