From: Willie Wong <wwong@×××××××××.EDU>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] a star-map wallpaper?
Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2006 18:00:12
1 On Wed, Jun 14, 2006 at 05:30:04PM +0800, Penguin Lover ??? ?????? squawked:
2 > Hello. Sorry for my English if there is a more correct way of saying "Star
3 > map". By Star Map I mean something that shows the position of starts, as
4 > well as brightness. The more like photo, the better.
5
6 The word you are looking for is 'chart', as in 'star chart'. Google
7 for 'star chart wallpaper linux' or some phrase like that.
8
9 > Star moves in the sky all the time:
10 > 1) the star map in 20:00 is different from 21:00
11 > 2) the star map in today 20:00 is different from what it was yesterday 20:00
12 > 3) the star map in one city is different from in another city at the same
13 > time
14 >
15 > I am looking for an application dynamically change the backgroup of my gnome
16 > desktop, showing the correct starmap of the very city I am in, of the very
17 > day and correct moment. That might require the desktop image being replaced
18 > once 15 miniutes, that doesn't matter, that's what I need.
19
20 I don't know if any program of your specification is available, but
21 for KDE at least you can run a graphic program in the root window and
22 use that as a desktop image, thought I don't know about gnome.
23
24 Try looking at some of the following to see if you can at least use it
25 to meet your needs:
26 xephem: http://www.clearskyinstitute.com/xephem/
27 pp3: http://pp3.sourceforge.net/
28 kstars (yes, I know you are running gnome):
29 http://edu.kde.org/kstars/
30 Mag 7 star charts: http://www.cloudynights.com/item.php?item_id=1052
31
32 If you don't care too much about accuracy, some elementary mathematics
33 plus the Mag 7 star charts, a cron job, and an image viewer with
34 ability to set the background image (like qiv or xli) should allow you
35 to dynamically switch the background image to the roughly correct star
36 chart.
37
38 W
39 --
40 Santa's helpers are subordinate clauses.
41 Sortir en Pantoufles: up 4 days, 18:25
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list