From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: [gentoo-dev] Last rites: kde-apps/ksnapshot
Date: Sun, 17 Jul 2016 11:53:45
1 On Saturday, July 16, 2016 07:25:15 PM Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 16 Jul 2016 20:06:20 J. Roeleveld wrote:
3 > > Hi All,
4 > >
5 > > I saw the following go past in the dev-list:
6 > >
7 > > # Johannes Huber <johu@g.o> (14 Jul 2016)
8 > > # No longer released upstream. Use kde-apps/spectacle instead.
9 > > # Masked for removal in 30 days.
10 > > kde-apps/ksnapshot
11 > >
12 > > I understand ksnapshot can't be maintained for much longer and with kde4
13 > > dependencies, it will need more then a little handholding.
14 > >
15 > > Does anyone have a decent replacement as spectacle is, in my opinion, not
16 > > an equal replacement. More like a massive regression from a ease-of-use
17 > > perspective.
18 > >
19 > > Many thanks,
20 > >
21 > > Joost
22 >
23 > I am running spectacle-15.12.3 usually in Window, or Rectangle mode and I
24 > have not come across any usability problems ...
25 >
26 > What is it in particular that differs from Ksnapshot's functionality or
27 > behaviour?
28
29 My workflow when taking screenshots:
30 - Take a snapshot (rectangle)
31 - "Save as", storing it at a specific location with "<something>_1.jpg" as the
32 name
33 - Change something in an application or going to next screen
34 - Take a new snapshot (ksnapshot defaults to exact same rectangle which is
35 99.9% of the time correct)
36 - "Save as", ksnapshot goes to same location and increases the numbering
37 automatically.
38
39 Last time I tried spectacle, I had to navigate the file structure for every
40 single screenshot. Set it to save as JPEG. And manually retype the entire
41 filename.
42
43 This is fine if you occasionally want to save a screenshot and have no problem
44 wading through all the screenshots in whatever "default" location Spectacle
45 wants to dump them into. But not when taking screenshots documenting an
46 installation procedure.
49 Joost