From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 19:07:55
1 On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
5 > All the references Google can find for me say that you have to use a
6 > GPT partition table if you want to specify a boot partition using
7 > root=PARTUUID=<partition-uuid>.
8 >
9 > Does the root=PARTUUID option work for you?
10 >
11 > Can you point to some documentation on how you can use
12 > root=PARTUID=<partition-uuid> with an DOS/MBR partition table?
13
14 As Neil alluded to, you can use UUID with MBR (instead of PARTUUID and
15 GPT). I have DOS/MBR partition table and my kernel commandline looks
16 like:
17
18 root=UUID=1d21fa55-0fa9-4d43-8d41-8b4193900efa ro log_buf_len=1M quiet
19 rootfstype=ext4 raid=noautodetect
20
21 (along with an initramfs)