From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 20:27:59
1 On 2013-07-02, Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 11:57 AM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4
5 >>>> 5) For the drive with the root parition on it switch from a DOS
6 >>>> parition table to a GPT partition table and use the
7 >>>> root=PARTUUID=<whatever> kernel option.
8 >>>
9 >>> You don't need to switch to GPT for that.
10 >>
11 >> All the references Google can find for me say that you have to use a
12 >> GPT partition table if you want to specify a boot partition using
13 >> root=PARTUUID=<partition-uuid>.
14 >>
15 >> Does the root=PARTUUID option work for you?
16 >>
17 >> Can you point to some documentation on how you can use
18 >> root=PARTUID=<partition-uuid> with an DOS/MBR partition table?
19 >
20 > As Neil alluded to, you can use UUID with MBR (instead of PARTUUID and
21 > GPT). I have DOS/MBR partition table and my kernel commandline looks
22 > like:
23 >
24 > root=UUID=1d21fa55-0fa9-4d43-8d41-8b4193900efa ro log_buf_len=1M quiet
25 > rootfstype=ext4 raid=noautodetect
26 >
27 > (along with an initramfs)
28
29 Yes, we've already discussed that if you have an initrd (or
30 initramfs), and an 'init' program that handles it, you can use
31 filesystem labels and filesystem uuids.
32
33 The option we were discussing in the posting to which you replied is
34 that of using the root=PARTUUID method which is handled directly by
35 the kernel. I said that requires switching from MBR to GPT, and was
36 told "You don't need to switch to GPT for that." The evidence for that
37 last statement seemed to be the fact the 'blkid' command prints out
38 filesystem UUIDs.
39
40 I tried using root=PARTUUID= with an MBR and the UUID values printed
41 by 'blkid': it didn't work. I even modified the kernel to show the
42 kernel's partition UUIDs that were being compared against.
43
44 I still maintain that you _do_ need to switch to GPT to use
45 root=PARTUUID but would welcome any evidence or documentation that
46 indicates otherwise.
49 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! The Korean War must
50 at have been fun.
51 gmail.com