From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Can't find init due to inconsistent drive order
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2013 22:31:01
1 On Tue, Jul 2, 2013 at 3:27 PM, Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >>> Can you point to some documentation on how you can use
3 >>> root=PARTUID=<partition-uuid> with an DOS/MBR partition table?
4 >>
5 >> As Neil alluded to, you can use UUID with MBR (instead of PARTUUID and
6 >> GPT). I have DOS/MBR partition table and my kernel commandline looks
7 >> like:
8 >>
9 >> root=UUID=1d21fa55-0fa9-4d43-8d41-8b4193900efa ro log_buf_len=1M quiet
10 >> rootfstype=ext4 raid=noautodetect
11 >>
12 >> (along with an initramfs)
13 >
14 > Yes, we've already discussed that if you have an initrd (or
15 > initramfs), and an 'init' program that handles it, you can use
16 > filesystem labels and filesystem uuids.
17 >
18 > The option we were discussing in the posting to which you replied is
19 > that of using the root=PARTUUID method which is handled directly by
20 > the kernel.
21
22 Ah, sorry, I missed that detail. I thought I was helping to clear up
23 confusion, when in fact I was the confused one! :)