From: Danny YUE <sheepduke@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox depends on rust??
Date: Thu, 22 Jun 2017 07:37:37
1 On 2017-06-22 07:23, Vadim A. Misbakh-Soloviov <mva@×××.name> wrote:
2 >> Does anyone knows why? Any idea?
3 > The reason is in that fact, that many of it's components are in rust.
4 > And since it was possible to dodge it until now, maintainers considered it is
5 > not a way since now.
6 >
7 > And, by the way, it is not that many time to build rust, as you think:
8 >> Thu Jun 22 12:34:00 2017 >>> dev-lang/rust-1.16.0
9 >> merge time: 1 hour, 48 minutes.
10 > Than was on 1.9GHz with hardly limited portage (MAKEOPTS="-j5 -l2",
11 > NICENESS=18, ionice -c3, and cgroupped on cpu shares and ram).
12 >
13 > So, ~20 mins would be enough on non-limited portage and full power of that i7.
14
15 Thank you all for replying.
16
17 So it can be around 30~40 minutes or so on my i5 machine.
18 Just it feels strange to install something large that I would probably
19 never use myself.
20
21 I am considering using binary package instead of compiling it myself.
22
23 But I am afraid that using firefox-bin package would cause some
24 dependency problem. I once tried libreoffice-bin, but found it really
25 painful to resolve dependency issues during system upgrading.
26
27 Anyone tried firefox-bin smoothly?
28
29 Danny