From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 15:18:59
1 <podge <at> podgeweb.com> writes:
4 > > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing my
5 > > new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use. Right
6 > > after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing anything
7 > > out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy usb and sd
8 > > and sr drivers in the kernel ).
9
10 Ah,
11
12 I have had a similar problem a few months ago on one system (AMD 64 X2).
13 I never figured it out, but I suspect that rebuilding X, KDE and many
14 other utilities over time, fixed it. X seems to use more resources than
15 it should. But, in reality, after a while, it just went away. None of the
16 other AMD 64 X2 systems I manage, had the problem. The load was always 1.0
17 or higher.
20 I think I even posted to this list and we discussed the meaning of "load"
21 too.
22
23 Here's some good reading on "load average"
24
25 http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/