From: Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 22:57:26
1 On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > <podge <at> podgeweb.com> writes:
6 > > > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing
7 > my
8 > > > new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use.
9 > Right
10 > > > after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing
11 > anything
12 > > > out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy usb and
13 > sd
14 > > > and sr drivers in the kernel ).
15 >
16 > Ah,
17 >
18 > I have had a similar problem a few months ago on one system (AMD 64 X2).
19 > I never figured it out, but I suspect that rebuilding X, KDE and many
20 > other utilities over time, fixed it. X seems to use more resources than
21 > it should. But, in reality, after a while, it just went away. None of the
22 > other AMD 64 X2 systems I manage, had the problem. The load was always 1.0
23 > or higher.
26 > I think I even posted to this list and we discussed the meaning of "load"
27 > too.
28 >
29 > Here's some good reading on "load average"
30 >
31 > http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/
35 Hey,
36
37 I'm fairly comfortable with the definition of load average, that's not
38 something I need clarification on, but thanks to all whom have offered.
39
40 I'll fire up htop today and see if its able to identify anything that top or
41 ps hasn't as yet.
42
43 I'm relatively certain the issue isn't related to X or gnome as the load
44 shoots up immediately after boot up and the load issue happens even without
45 firing up startx.
49 Beau Dylan Henderson
50
51 "No human being should be denied the fundamental right to educate themselves
52 or indulge their curiosities. To deny any person the right to do so, for
53 whatever reason, is nothing more than the safeguarding of ignorance to
54 ensure that enlightenment does not become a threat. For nothing in this
55 world is more dangerous than an open mind." -- Matthew Good