From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Constant Load 1.00+ on new Toshiba laptop
Date: Wed, 18 Feb 2009 23:20:02
1 On Wed, Feb 18, 2009 at 4:57 PM, Beau Henderson <beau@××××××××××××.com> wrote:
4 > On Thu, Feb 19, 2009 at 1:18 AM, James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >>
6 >> <podge <at> podgeweb.com> writes:
9 >> > > I was wondering if anyone might have any idea's as to what is causing
10 >> > > my
11 >> > > new Toshiba A300 Satelite to idle at a load of 1.00 when not in use.
12 >> > > Right
13 >> > > after boot up it settles at 1.00 when I do nothing. I'm not seeing
14 >> > > anything
15 >> > > out of ordinary in dmesg ( asside from an non issue with legacy usb
16 >> > > and sd
17 >> > > and sr drivers in the kernel ).
18 >>
19 >> Ah,
20 >>
21 >> I have had a similar problem a few months ago on one system (AMD 64 X2).
22 >> I never figured it out, but I suspect that rebuilding X, KDE and many
23 >> other utilities over time, fixed it. X seems to use more resources than
24 >> it should. But, in reality, after a while, it just went away. None of the
25 >> other AMD 64 X2 systems I manage, had the problem. The load was always 1.0
26 >> or higher.
29 >> I think I even posted to this list and we discussed the meaning of "load"
30 >> too.
31 >>
32 >> Here's some good reading on "load average"
33 >>
34 >> http://www.teamquest.com/resources/gunther/display/5/
38 > Hey,
39 >
40 > I'm fairly comfortable with the definition of load average, that's not
41 > something I need clarification on, but thanks to all whom have offered.
42 >
43 > I'll fire up htop today and see if its able to identify anything that top or
44 > ps hasn't as yet.
45 >
46 > I'm relatively certain the issue isn't related to X or gnome as the load
47 > shoots up immediately after boot up and the load issue happens even without
48 > firing up startx.
49
50 I wonder if the laptop could be going into some low-speed, low-power
51 mode, causing it to seem "slow" and thus making the load seem
52 artificially high? (assuming you're using CPU frequency scaling at
53 all)