From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] distcc and crossdev, anyone?
Date: Fri, 01 Apr 2011 11:45:28
1 On Saturday 18 December 2010 10:18:43 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Fri, 17 Dec 2010 22:56:29 +0000, Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > I've bought (against my better judgement) an Atom N270 box to be a LAN
4 > > server, but it's a bit slow compared with the other boxes on the
5 > > network. A big bit, actually - 69 minutes to compile a kernel compared
6 > > with less than 9 minutes on this workstation.
7 > >
8 > > I thought I'd give distcc a go, but after reading the Gentoo distcc and
9 > > crossdev guides and doing what they say I get no result. I might just
10 > > as well not have made the effort. The Atom box just labours with the
11 > > emerge without trying to send anything to the server box I've set up
12 > > for the purpose.
13 >
14 > I've found there's just too much overhead with distcc, plus much of the
15 > work is still done locally. I have a couple of Atom boxes, a server and a
16 > netbook, and I've set up a chroot for each on my workstation. In the
17 > chroot I have FEATURES=buildpkg, using an NFS mounted PKGDIR available to
18 > both computers, then I emerge -k on the Atom box.
19
20 I've been experimenting with nfs-mounting the whole Atom file system to /target
21 in a chroot on my workstation, then setting --root=/target and --config-
22 root=/target on every portage command. I can't recommend it.
23
24 Numerous packages require to be installed into both the chroot and the target. I
25 suppose that's not too onerous, even though I haven't found a way to predict
26 which packages will be affected, but I've found that, when I go back to the Atom
27 box and emerge -pkuv world, a lot of the packages that should already have been
28 upgraded haven't been, and I have to emerge them on the Atom box directly.
29
30 The states of the target and the native chroot are neither consistent nor
31 independent - it's a mess.
32
33 It was a nice idea to enable portage to work in this way, but it's still full of
34 holes. Maybe all packages need some extra configuring; I don't know. A lot more
35 work is definitely needed by someone, at any rate.
36
37 I've decided to revert to Neil's method (once I've shaken this infection off).
40 Rgds
41 Peter