From: Robert Crawford <flacycads@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] WARNING! : Newbie ahead -- EMERGEncy problems
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:58:27
1 If downloading time and cost are a concern, you might not get the real
2 benefits of Gentoo, and maybe should consider a binary distro.
3
4 Anyway, if you wish to install stuff not in portage (almost everything is),
5 you need to employ " portage overlays" you create yourself in
6 /usr/local/portage- an advanced topic.
7
8 The basic Gentoo install gives you the x86 "stable" version.
9
10 The 4.x gcc versions are "~x86", and are masked, so you need to create the
11 etc/portage/package.unmask and package.keywords files to unmask anything not
12 in the "x86 stable" Gentoo version. That, or edit your /etc/make.conf file
13 to go pure "~x86 testing" version. There's info on the Gentoo forum and in
14 the Documentation:
15 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#book_part3
16
17 When you need to override Portage's behaviour regarding the installation of
18 software, you will end up editing files within /etc/portage. You are highly
19 recommended to use files within /etc/portage and highly discouraged to
20 override the behaviour through environment variables!
21 Within /etc/portage you can create the following files:
22
23 a.. package.mask which lists the packages you never want Portage to
24 install
25 b.. package.unmask which lists the packages you want to be able to install
26 even though the Gentoo developers highly discourage you from emerging them
27 c.. package.keywords which lists the packages you want to be able to
28 install even though the package hasn't been found suitable for your system
29 or architecture (yet)
30 d.. package.use which lists the USE flags you want to use for certain
31 packages without having the entire system use those USE flags
32 More information about the /etc/portage directory and a full list of
33 possible files you can create can be found in the Portage man page:
34
35 ----- Original Message -----
36 From: "Meino Christian Cramer" <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
37 To: <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
38 Sent: Sunday, February 12, 2006 3:09 AM
39 Subject: [gentoo-user] WARNING! : Newbie ahead -- EMERGEncy problems
43 > Hi,
44 >
45 > I """installed""" Gentoo 2005.1.r1 the first time on a hd.
46 > I used a stage 3 downloaded from teh internet.
49 > But I fear, I haven't understand a certain aspect of emerge
50 > not correctly.
51 >
52 > The problems arised as I tried to update the installed gcc-3.4.3
53 > to gcc-4.02.
54 >
55 > I understood, that this is a change with more impact to the system
56 > as for example installing slocate... :)
57 >
58 > I think I did it a described in the docs...("think" means: Before
59 > doing so I was sure, but concerning the results of my doing, I am
60 > no longer sure.... ;)
61 >
62 > What happens: The version of gcc changes to gcc-3.4.4.
63 >
64 > In my /usr/portage there were files concerning gcc-4.02 (and even
65 > gcc-4.1.beta*).
66 >
67 > But they were silently ignored.
68 >
69 > Then I tried to specify the version of gcc while using emerge...
70 > But this failed totally with syntax errors. I tried different
71 > syntactically variation, from which I *thought* to be correct
72 > after reading in the docs to emerge, but no success.
73 >
74 > The final plan of all this is to install Gentoo as the working horse
75 > on my new PC, since my old PC (from which I currently mailing) is
76 > very old and buggy (hardware probs) and has to be replaced as soon
77 > as possible. The new one will be an Athlon 64 X2 bases system.
78 >
79 > So I am experimenting on a free hd with Gentoo to decide, whether
80 > this will be my new Distro. Until now I was using/installing "Linux
81 > from scratch".
82 >
83 > Another problem I have is: Is it possible to convince emerge to use
84 > source archives (tar.gz, tar.bz2) of a newer version of a certain
85 > software as that one available vie gentoo sites???
86 >
87 > I dont have a flatrate and used to build new sources via patching and
88 > not via downloading the whole stuff again and again. This would cause
89 > pain to me aspecially when it comes to packages like new kernels or
90 > gnome/kde since they are very bulky.
91 >
92 > Thank you very much for any help/response in advance!
93 >
94 > Have a nice sunday!
95 > mcc
98 > --
99 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
103 > --
104 > No virus found in this incoming message.
105 > Checked by AVG Free Edition.
113 No virus found in this outgoing message.
114 Checked by AVG Free Edition.
118 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list