From: Meino Christian Cramer <Meino.Cramer@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] WARNING! : Newbie ahead -- EMERGEncy problems
Date: Sun, 12 Feb 2006 08:12:20
1 Hi,
2
3 I """installed""" Gentoo 2005.1.r1 the first time on a hd.
4 I used a stage 3 downloaded from teh internet.
7 But I fear, I haven't understand a certain aspect of emerge
8 not correctly.
9
10 The problems arised as I tried to update the installed gcc-3.4.3
11 to gcc-4.02.
12
13 I understood, that this is a change with more impact to the system
14 as for example installing slocate... :)
15
16 I think I did it a described in the docs...("think" means: Before
17 doing so I was sure, but concerning the results of my doing, I am
18 no longer sure.... ;)
19
20 What happens: The version of gcc changes to gcc-3.4.4.
21
22 In my /usr/portage there were files concerning gcc-4.02 (and even
23 gcc-4.1.beta*).
24
25 But they were silently ignored.
26
27 Then I tried to specify the version of gcc while using emerge...
28 But this failed totally with syntax errors. I tried different
29 syntactically variation, from which I *thought* to be correct
30 after reading in the docs to emerge, but no success.
31
32 The final plan of all this is to install Gentoo as the working horse
33 on my new PC, since my old PC (from which I currently mailing) is
34 very old and buggy (hardware probs) and has to be replaced as soon
35 as possible. The new one will be an Athlon 64 X2 bases system.
36
37 So I am experimenting on a free hd with Gentoo to decide, whether
38 this will be my new Distro. Until now I was using/installing "Linux
39 from scratch".
40
41 Another problem I have is: Is it possible to convince emerge to use
42 source archives (tar.gz, tar.bz2) of a newer version of a certain
43 software as that one available vie gentoo sites???
44
45 I dont have a flatrate and used to build new sources via patching and
46 not via downloading the whole stuff again and again. This would cause
47 pain to me aspecially when it comes to packages like new kernels or
48 gnome/kde since they are very bulky.
49
50 Thank you very much for any help/response in advance!
51
52 Have a nice sunday!
53 mcc
57 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list