From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [Bulk] Re: [gentoo-user] /etc/hosts include file?
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2013 03:58:43
1 On Mon, Mar 11, 2013 at 11:39:35PM +0000, Kevin Chadwick wrote
2 > > Don't waste time and effort on it. Put your
3 > > effort into pounding away on a simple issue that people do understand...
4 > > we're running out of IP addresses.
5 >
6 > We have run out of unallocated ones, there are still loads of unused
7 > ones... and even some being released.
8
9 And they'll run out rather quickly at the rate they're being assigned.
10 There are approximately 3.7 billion usable IPV4 addresses. Soon, that
11 will be one for every 2 people on this planet. And don't forget the
12 people who have an account at home, a smartphone with web access, and an
13 internet-connected desktop at work. Conservation of IP addresses will
14 buy us a couple more years, but that's it.
15
16 > and even more due to global NAT...
17
18 In another message you said...
19
20 > ...and may I state again also that I have externally facing servers
21 > and games machines behind NAT.
22
23 Yes, that works if *YOU* have at least 1 public IP address and *YOU*
24 control port-forwarding. But it won't work behind carrier-level NAT.
25
26 > It is true eventually it will be an absolute problem but hopefully by
27 > then we will have a cleaner ipv7.
28
29 It won't happen. It's too late to start from scratch, and the IPV6
30 rollout has already begun.
33 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
34 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications