From: gentuxx <gentuxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Mysterious dev-lang/php 'n' junk 'n' stuff....
Date: Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:22:59
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Holly Bostick wrote:
5
6 >gentuxx schreef:
7 >
8 >>Hi all,
9 >>
10 ><snip>
11 >
12 >>I went to do an `emerge -Duatv world` tonight, and I get dev-php/php
13 >>and dev-php/mod_php blocking. So I uninstalled them, and thought
14 >>that I would re-install later (if necessary). When I run it again, I
15 >>get dev-lang/php blocking dev-php/php-4.4.0-r4 (which is the one I
16 >>just unemerged). So, same logical progression, I go to unemerge
17 >>dev-lang/php, and, lo and behold, it's not installed.
18 >>
19 ><snip>
20 >
21 >>So, my questions to the group are these:
22 >>
23 >>1) Why does `emerge -Duatv world` find a package (which blocks
24 >>another that it wants to update) that `emerge -CDatv world` does NOT
25 >>find?
28 >As far as I know, emerge -CDatv world is not even a valid command (at
29 >least I hope it isn't).
30 >
31 >This translates to
32 >
33 >emerge --unmerge --deep --ask --tree --verbose world, and it seems to me
34 >would unmerge everything on your system if it was allowed.
37 The unemerge isn't run from the script. The `emerge world` is. I
38 would think that it would only unemerge package that depended solely
39 on the package being unemerged. But, perhaps the '--deep' is ignored
40 in this case. I have never seen another package being brought for
41 "unemerging" when using this command.
44 >The usual use for --unmerge is to tell Portage what you specifically
45 >want to unmerge; this should not be an automatic function (except in the
46 >case of repair utilities such as depclean, which even those give you a
47 >HUGE warning that unmerging "random" --as in "not pre-specified by the
48 >user, but determined by a script"-- packages automatically can break the
49 >system).
50 >
51 >The actual answer to your question, though, is that the blocking package
52 >is not a problem unless you want to emerge something that it blocks. So
53 >of course it's not going to be "noticed" until you attempt to perform
54 >such an action (emerging a package that is blocked by the installed
55 >package).
56
57 Well, this is what I would like to do. ( I thought this would be
58 obvious.) But I can't continue with the `emerge world` unless I'm
59 able to resolve the blocks. The command/process dies almost
60 immediately complaining about the blocked packages.
61
62 >>2) How do I rectify this little "version discrepancy" fixed so that
63 >>I can get things updating normally again?
66 >Iirc from several threads recently, there are one or more packages on
67 >your system that rely on php which must be updated to ~arch, or else
68 >they keep trying to bring in PHP4 (only the ~arch version can depend on
69 >PHP5; the stable versions have a fixed dependency on PHP4).
70 >
71 >I don't remember which programs they are, but if you don't feel like
72 >searching the archives, you can look at your tree view to see what is
73 >actually pulling in PHP4, upgrading that (or keywording it to unstable,
74 >rather) and see if you still get the block.
77 I had several "keyworded" before, and removing those keywords seemed
78 to eliminate *some* of the blocking problem. I'll try
79 upgrading/keywording the ones that seem to depend on php4 in the hopes
80 that they are now wanting php5.
81
82 >Hope this helps,
83 >Holly
87 - --
88 gentux
89 echo "hfouvyAdpy/ofu" | perl -pe 's/(.)/chr(ord($1)-1)/ge'
90
91 gentux's gpg fingerprint ==> 34CE 2E97 40C7 EF6E EC40 9795 2D81 924A
102 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list