From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 14:05:54
1 On Saturday, December 19, 2015 08:02:12 AM Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Thomas Mueller
3 >
4 > <mueller6726@×××××××××.net> wrote:
5 > > Now I am considering an external hard drive with eSATA, more suitable for
6 > > OS installation (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Haiku?) than USB 3.0. Only
7 > > brand I find is Micronet Fantom (GForce), or use Seagate NAS hard drive
8 > > in an enclosure with eSATA.
9 > I use a cheap external "enclosure" with a port replicator. The
10 > replicator part is sometimes problematic - sometimes one drive or the
11 > other isn't recognized and I need to power-cycle (which means
12 > unmounting both drives before touching either). But, otherwise it
13 > works fine, and lets me just use whatever internal drive I want.
14
15 SATA and port replicators?
16 I've heard that for those to be reliable, you need a SAS controller.
17
18 > I use it for a few purposes:
19 > 1. Ability to plug in external drives for offline storage (vs burning
20 > tons of DVDs). I had a growing collection of smaller drives I'd
21 > replaced anyway, and I use them in RAID1 pairs. Reminds me that I
22 > should scrub them soon...
23
24 I currently use 2.5" drives in hot-swap bays myself. External enclosures means
25 similar amount of work swapping them, but with the added complexity and wiring
26 when using external enclosures.
27
28 > 2. Ability to easily hot-swap for drive failures. When I get a RAID
29 > failure I can plug a new drive into the enclosure as soon as I have it
30 > and rebuild the array, which gets me back into full redundancy sooner.
31 > Then at a convenient point I'll swap the drive into the internal bay.
32 >
33 > > I really can't see why USB 3.0 is so more widely available than eSATA when
34 > > eSATA seems superior as far as I can tell.
35 > I suspect it is the ease-of-use factor. USB external drives were more
36 > common than eSATA back when USB meant USB 2.0 and eSATA was just as
37 > good as it is today. Clearly performance wasn't the deciding factor
38 > here.
39
40 Power from the bus? (Eg. reducing the amount of cables)
41
42 > I will say that SATA port replicators seem finicky, at least under
43 > Linux. With USB it is all idiot-proof. With SATA of any kind I end
44 > up figuring out how many PCI cards I can jam into my PC with as many
45 > ports each as possible if I want a large number of drives. Backblaze
46 > uses port replicators, but they've basically tailored their hardware
47 > to a single purpose so they're using the motherboard+SATA+replicator
48 > design that is optimal for their needs.
49
50 Backblaze actually wrote about which chipsets work together.
51 If you stick with those, it should work.
54 Joost