From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 13:02:23
1 On Sat, Dec 19, 2015 at 5:12 AM, Thomas Mueller
2 <mueller6726@×××××××××.net> wrote:
3 >
4 > Now I am considering an external hard drive with eSATA, more suitable for OS installation (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Haiku?) than USB 3.0. Only brand I find is Micronet Fantom (GForce), or use Seagate NAS hard drive in an enclosure with eSATA.
5
6 I use a cheap external "enclosure" with a port replicator. The
7 replicator part is sometimes problematic - sometimes one drive or the
8 other isn't recognized and I need to power-cycle (which means
9 unmounting both drives before touching either). But, otherwise it
10 works fine, and lets me just use whatever internal drive I want.
11
12 I use it for a few purposes:
13 1. Ability to plug in external drives for offline storage (vs burning
14 tons of DVDs). I had a growing collection of smaller drives I'd
15 replaced anyway, and I use them in RAID1 pairs. Reminds me that I
16 should scrub them soon...
17
18 2. Ability to easily hot-swap for drive failures. When I get a RAID
19 failure I can plug a new drive into the enclosure as soon as I have it
20 and rebuild the array, which gets me back into full redundancy sooner.
21 Then at a convenient point I'll swap the drive into the internal bay.
24 > I really can't see why USB 3.0 is so more widely available than eSATA when eSATA seems superior as far as I can tell.
27 I suspect it is the ease-of-use factor. USB external drives were more
28 common than eSATA back when USB meant USB 2.0 and eSATA was just as
29 good as it is today. Clearly performance wasn't the deciding factor
30 here.
31
32 I will say that SATA port replicators seem finicky, at least under
33 Linux. With USB it is all idiot-proof. With SATA of any kind I end
34 up figuring out how many PCI cards I can jam into my PC with as many
35 ports each as possible if I want a large number of drives. Backblaze
36 uses port replicators, but they've basically tailored their hardware
37 to a single purpose so they're using the motherboard+SATA+replicator
38 design that is optimal for their needs.
41 Rich