From: Thomas Mueller <mueller6726@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 10:13:18
1 > I've got 16 3TB WD Reds running 24/7 for a little over 3 years.
2 > Only had 1 failure (Smart complaining) in that time.
3
4 > I find that decent odds.
5
6 > Joost
7
8 I bought a WD Green 3 TB hard drive in May 2011, warranty was then 3 years. It went bad with errors after 34 months.
9
10 I was able to get a warranty replacement after much hassle, with the warranty on such drives down to 2 years.
11
12 That replacement hard drive went bad in about seven months, strange sounds reminiscent of a dialup modem, drive was no longer recognized by the computer.
13
14 At nearly the same time as the WD Green failure, a 3 TB My Book Essential 3 TB USB 3.0 hard drive, ordered at the same time as the WD Green drive, went somewhat bad with errors, but the warranty on that was 2 years.
15
16 Needing a hard drive for another computer (May 2013), and not trusting WD or "Green", I ordered a Seagate NAS 4 TB hard drive, figuring increased reliability compared to Barracuda or Desktop was worth the modest additional cost.
17
18 That drive is still good as far as I can tell.
19
20 Now I am considering an external hard drive with eSATA, more suitable for OS installation (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Haiku?) than USB 3.0. Only brand I find is Micronet Fantom (GForce), or use Seagate NAS hard drive in an enclosure with eSATA.
21
22 I really can't see why USB 3.0 is so more widely available than eSATA when eSATA seems superior as far as I can tell.
23
24 Tom