From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 14:01:28
1 On Saturday, December 19, 2015 10:12:22 AM Thomas Mueller wrote:
2 > > I've got 16 3TB WD Reds running 24/7 for a little over 3 years.
3 > > Only had 1 failure (Smart complaining) in that time.
4 > >
5 > > I find that decent odds.
6 > >
7 > > Joost
8 >
9 > I bought a WD Green 3 TB hard drive in May 2011, warranty was then 3 years.
10 > It went bad with errors after 34 months.
11
12 My experience with the WD Greens is similar. I don't trust them for important
13 stuff.
14 They don't seem to manage 24/7 usage.
15
16 > I was able to get a warranty replacement after much hassle, with the
17 > warranty on such drives down to 2 years.
18 >
19 > That replacement hard drive went bad in about seven months, strange sounds
20 > reminiscent of a dialup modem, drive was no longer recognized by the
21 > computer.
22 >
23 > At nearly the same time as the WD Green failure, a 3 TB My Book Essential 3
24 > TB USB 3.0 hard drive, ordered at the same time as the WD Green drive, went
25 > somewhat bad with errors, but the warranty on that was 2 years.
26
27 I use the small 2.5" usb-drives from WD succesfully.
28 Only had 1 out of 8 die in the past 5 years. (Didn't bother with usb
29 harddrives before then)
30
31 > Needing a hard drive for another computer (May 2013), and not trusting WD or
32 > "Green", I ordered a Seagate NAS 4 TB hard drive, figuring increased
33 > reliability compared to Barracuda or Desktop was worth the modest
34 > additional cost.
35 >
36 > That drive is still good as far as I can tell.
37
38 Most manufacturers have good and bad drives.
39 Just make sure you pick the ones designed for your usage.
40 RAID setups don't like the aggressive powersaving implemented in "green"
41 drives of any brand.
42
43 > Now I am considering an external hard drive with eSATA, more suitable for OS
44 > installation (Linux, NetBSD, FreeBSD, Haiku?) than USB 3.0. Only brand I
45 > find is Micronet Fantom (GForce), or use Seagate NAS hard drive in an
46 > enclosure with eSATA.
47 >
48 > I really can't see why USB 3.0 is so more widely available than eSATA when
49 > eSATA seems superior as far as I can tell.
50
51 I think USB 3.0 is cheaper and more common.
52 Only seen the occasional eSATA port on laptops and afaik, eSATA requires a
53 seperate powersupply. USB can supply the power for the drive as well.
56 Joost