From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 08:36:27
1 On 19 December 2015 04:05:25 CET, wabenbau@×××××.com wrote:
2 >Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 >> I think I'm leery of all drives now. I've had WDs fail, Seagate and
5 >> some other brand. I just keep buying bad stuff. :-( I'm glad I
6 >> don't have to buy pacemakers. :/
7 >
8 >It seems that many many years ago HDs were more reliable then today.
9 >I have five 4GB IBM SCSI HDs and one 40GB Seagate IDE HD in my cupboard
10 >
11 >that I've used 24/7 for about 8 years. They were still intact when I
12 >replaced them.
13 >But its hardly surprising that a drive with a capacity of some TB has
14 >a higher risk of failure than a drive with a capacity of 4GB or 40GB.
15 >
16 >Since about three years I'm using four 3TB WD red HDs as storage drives
17 >
18 >and I bought two more some months ago. No failures with all of these
19 >drives so far.
20 >
21 >--
22 >Regards
23 >wabe
24
25 I've got 16 3TB WD Reds running 24/7 for a little over 3 years.
26 Only had 1 failure (Smart complaining) in that time.
27
28 I find that decent odds.
31 Joost
32 --
33 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.