From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 03:08:21
1 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I think I'm leery of all drives now. I've had WDs fail, Seagate and
4 > some other brand. I just keep buying bad stuff. :-( I'm glad I
5 > don't have to buy pacemakers. :/
6
7 It seems that many many years ago HDs were more reliable then today.
8 I have five 4GB IBM SCSI HDs and one 40GB Seagate IDE HD in my cupboard
9 that I've used 24/7 for about 8 years. They were still intact when I
10 replaced them.
11 But its hardly surprising that a drive with a capacity of some TB has
12 a higher risk of failure than a drive with a capacity of 4GB or 40GB.
13
14 Since about three years I'm using four 3TB WD red HDs as storage drives
15 and I bought two more some months ago. No failures with all of these
16 drives so far.
19 Regards
20 wabe