From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Hard drive noise
Date: Sat, 19 Dec 2015 01:37:27
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Howdy,
3 >
4 > I finally got a new 3TB hard drive. I got one on sale for under $100.
5 > Anyway, I put it in, did the LVM thing and set up my backup script, very
6 > basic as it is. A little bit ago, I noticed a sound. It's not a click
7 > or a metallic type sound. It sounds like the heads are doing random
8 > reads/writes and the heads are moving but doing so noisily. Thing is,
9 > there is no drive activity according to gkrellm or iotop. All the
10 > drives should be basically idle. I even went to single user mode to be
11 > sure nothing in KDE was doing some index thingy or something. Still,
12 > nothing showed that there should be any drive activity, including the
13 > hard drive light on the case.
14 >
15 > <<< SNIP >>>
16 >
17 > Thoughts?
18 >
19 > Dale
20 >
21 > :-) :-)
26 Well ain't this interesting. I was about to pull the side off that
27 monster Cooler Master HAF-932 when I moved my router, which sits on top
28 of the case over the top fan. When I moved it, the sound stopped. When
29 I sat it back down, it made that noise again but slightly different.
30 So, I moved the router a little further back. Now all is quiet. No
31 weird noises for the last several minutes now.
32
33 After finding out about this drive, now I'm nervous about depending on
34 it for a backup. Bad thing is, I've got two of these drives now.
35 Different batches but still. Since firmware seems to have some affect
36 on this, is this a good version to have?
37
38 Firmware Version: CC25
39
40 That's on the new drive. The old drive is:
41
42 Firmware Version: CC29
43
44 Weird, my new drive seems to have older firmware than my old drive.
45 How's that work I wonder? My old drive is a couple years old at least.
46
47 I think I'm leery of all drives now. I've had WDs fail, Seagate and
48 some other brand. I just keep buying bad stuff. :-( I'm glad I don't
49 have to buy pacemakers. :/
50
51 Dale
52