From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:20:59
1 On 2014-09-18, Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Grant Edwards
3 ><grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> The only Linux systems where I care about boot time are embedded
5 >> systems which are never going to have the resources needed to run
6 >> systemd.
7 >
8 > How about containers? When I launch mariadb I'd prefer that it
9 > happen in milliseconds, not tens of seconds. That includes setting
10 > up interfaces, populating /dev, getting an ip, launching ssh, syslog,
11 > etc, and so on, oh, and mariadb.
12
13 OK, that makes sense. I've never used containers and only have a
14 vague understanding of what they are -- I occasionally use a VM or
15 two, but startup speed doesn't matter for them in my applications. I
16 assumed there must be _some_ application where boot up speed is
17 important, but I just didn't know what it would be.
18
19 >> The other thing I keep hearing from systemd proponents is stuff about
20 >> how it allows you to parallelize startup. I don't _want_ stuff
21 >> starting up in parallel -- that just makes it all the more difficult
22 >> to troubleshoot problems. I want things to start up one at a time, in
23 >> a determined order.
24 >
25 > I hope you aren't running openrc then. It doesn't launch in a
26 > predetermined order.
27
28 I'm am running openrc (with parallel startup disabled) on my "regular"
29 Gentoo systems. On my systems, the startup order seems to be
30 deterministic. [I also have a bunch of "other" systems I boot on
31 occasion for testing apps/drivers -- they're running various distros
32 using whatever init system they default to.]
33
34 > I will agree that you get far more race conditions than you do with
35 > openrc even with parallel startup, since processes start much more
36 > quickly.
39 Grant Edwards grant.b.edwards Yow! It's the RINSE CYCLE!!
40 at They've ALL IGNORED the
41 gmail.com RINSE CYCLE!!