From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Linus Torvalds on systemd
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2014 20:04:13
1 On Thu, Sep 18, 2014 at 3:18 PM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 > The only Linux systems where I care about boot time are embedded
4 > systems which are never going to have the resources needed to run
5 > systemd.
6
7 How about containers? When I launch mariadb I'd prefer that it happen
8 in milliseconds, not tens of seconds. That includes setting up
9 interfaces, populating /dev, getting an ip, launching ssh, syslog,
10 etc, and so on, oh, and mariadb.
11
12 > The other thing I keep hearing from systemd proponents is stuff about
13 > how it allows you to parallelize startup. I don't _want_ stuff
14 > starting up in parallel -- that just makes it all the more difficult
15 > to troubleshoot problems. I want things to start up one at a time, in
16 > a determined order.
17
18 I hope you aren't running openrc then. It doesn't launch in a
19 predetermined order.
20
21 I will agree that you get far more race conditions than you do with
22 openrc even with parallel startup, since processes start much more
23 quickly.
26 Rich