From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] su doesn't work for me.
Date: Sun, 10 Apr 2011 13:27:22
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 15:19 on Sunday 10 April 2011, Yann Ormanns
2 did opine thusly:
3
4 > Subject: [gentoo-user] su doesn't work for me.
5 > From: Alan Mackenzie <acm@×××.de>
6 > To: Yann Ormanns <yann-ormanns@×××.de>
7 > Date: 2011-04-10 15:17 (+0000)
8 >
9 > > Hi, Gentoo.
10 > >
11 > > When, as a normal user, I type "su", followed, when prompted, by the
12 > >
13 > > root password, I get the following error message:
14 > > su: Permission denied
15 > >
16 > > . The return code is 1. I can't glean anything useful from the man
17 > > page.
18 > >
19 > > Would somebody please tell me what I'm missing.
20 > >
21 > > Many thanks!
22 >
23 > Are you a member of the "wheel"-group? You can check that by executing
24 > "id yourname". If not, execute "usermod -aG wheel yourname".
25
26 Only root can run that and he can't su to root :-)
27
28 Log in directly as root on a text console and run it there.
29 If you can't log in as root, try su to root from any user in the wheel group.
30 If that still doesn't work, get out the LiveCD
34 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com