From: Jean-Christophe Bach <jc.bach@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] 3D printers && Gentoo
Date: Thu, 04 Jul 2013 20:52:24
1 *> James <wireless@×××××××××××.com> [04.07.2013. @19:38:00 +0000]:
2
3 > Hello,
4 >
5 > Not sure how many folks are using 3D printers yet
6 > via Gentoo. If so your shared experiences are of keen
7 > interest to me.
8 >
9 > I did find these excellent resources [1].
10 >
11 > [1] http://www.makerbot.com/support/guides/design/
12 > [2] http://www.thingiverse.com/categories
13
14 Hi James,
15
16 I am using 3D printers. With friends, we created a makerspace
17 (fablab/hackerspace)[1] where we are building and using 3D printers (and
18 lots of other things). The main resource to build a 3D printer we use is
19 [2]. Thingiverse [3] is great to find new 3D models, but you can also
20 create your own ones. For that, I am using OpenSCAD (in Portage,
21 media-gfx/openscap). It is also possible to use Blender with an ad hoc
22 plugin to export to .STL files. On other systems, there are proprietary
23 software, but I do not use them (sketchup seems to be very easy to use).
24
25 A friend (Emmanuel Gilloz aka watsdesign on Thingiverse[4]) designed the
26 Foldarap [5] which is a folding RepRap (it is amazing!). He crowdfunded
27 it a first time [6] but there was too many demands. Then he crowdfunded
28 a second time [7], and I think it is not yet finished.
29
30 With a colleague, we bought 2 RepRapPro Mendel [8] for the Computer
31 Science department where we teach. And today I tried to calibrate one.
32 But for the moment, students are not so interested in building and
33 creating things. They are fascinated, they want to use them (as
34 consumers), but not to create 3D models, or to design new 3D printers.
35
36 I am using Printrun [9] to control the 3D printer and to send gcode to
37 it. To generate gcode from 3D models (.STL files), I am using Slic3r
38 [10]. Of course, all these software are working without any problem on
39 Gentoo.
40
41 Regards,
42