From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: cgroupd really do work!
Date: Sun, 05 Dec 2010 02:05:16
1 On Sat, 2010-12-04 at 11:52 -0800, walt wrote:
2 > On 12/03/2010 04:41 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
3 > > Re the discussion on cgroups on the 24/25 november - on my old AMD
4 > > barton 2500+ desktop - in the past a load of anything more than 5 made
5 > > it very painful to use. Add in running windows in a qemu vm at the same
6 > > time (all in 1.5G ram) and its almost unusable as an interactive
7 > > desktop.
8 > >
9 > > Now, with Florians (thanks for the scripts) version of using it on
10 > > gentoo, even at a load in excess of 12, its almost as good as with no
11 > > load for desktop operations!
12 > >
13 > > To get the high load I am compiling a new kernel, running win2k in qemu,
14 > > emerging latest updates, browsing the web and reading email in
15 > > evolution, running updatedb and other cron jobs (just restarted after a
16 > > tuxonice hibernate so everything is triggering at once!).
17 >
18 > I would expect some disk swapping activity when running all those apps in
19 > 1.5GB of RAM. Are you seeing any?
23 yes, a lot as expected (multiple disks using LVM) so no attempt to
24 configure the disks for high performance. The compiles were quite slow,
25 but thats fine because I could still use the desktop. The only
26 interactive app that didnt work well was the win2k instance running in
27 qemu - it did work, though slowly, and when the other jobs were over and
28 it could get more cpu time it came back to around normal. qemu is
29 somewhat borderline on this machine in any case - been on it for 6-7
30 years though :)
31
32 Some apps that were swapped out had a very short delay while the pages
33 were retrieved (mainly noticable on firefox), but the before/after
34 impression was the difference between a very short pause and what used
35 to happen - time to take the hand off the mouse and lean back in the
36 chair and wait for FF to catch up.
37
38 Keep in mind this is a relatively low memory, very old/slow 32 bit
39 system I am using.
40
41 and after running this for a couple of days, yes, I am still happy with
42 it and this gives the old beast a new lease on life :)
43
44 BillK
47 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
48 Home in Perth!