From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: cgroupd really do work!
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 20:11:05
1 On 12/03/2010 04:41 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
2 > Re the discussion on cgroups on the 24/25 november - on my old AMD
3 > barton 2500+ desktop - in the past a load of anything more than 5 made
4 > it very painful to use. Add in running windows in a qemu vm at the same
5 > time (all in 1.5G ram) and its almost unusable as an interactive
6 > desktop.
7 >
8 > Now, with Florians (thanks for the scripts) version of using it on
9 > gentoo, even at a load in excess of 12, its almost as good as with no
10 > load for desktop operations!
11 >
12 > To get the high load I am compiling a new kernel, running win2k in qemu,
13 > emerging latest updates, browsing the web and reading email in
14 > evolution, running updatedb and other cron jobs (just restarted after a
15 > tuxonice hibernate so everything is triggering at once!).
16
17 I would expect some disk swapping activity when running all those apps in
18 1.5GB of RAM. Are you seeing any?