From: Alex Schuster <wonko@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SSH: No X11 forwarding any longer
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2007 04:50:52
1 Mick writes:
2
3 > On Sunday 14 October 2007, Alex Schuster wrote:
4 > > Then I looked at the configs again, and in the man page for ssh_config
5 > > I finally found this:
6 > > XAuthLocation
7 > > Specifies the full pathname of the xauth(1) program. The
8 > > default is /usr/openwin/bin/xauth.
9 > >
10 > > /usr/openwin? I added "XAuthLocation /usr/bin/xauth" to the
11 > > client's /etc/ssh/ssh_config, and now all was fine. Even without the X
12 > > use flag.
13 > >
14 > > Looking at a gentoo box I did not update for a while, I see the man
15 > > page there tells the default location is /usr/bin/xauth. Okay, now I
16 > > know this change is responsible. But why aren't forum and this list
17 > > flooded with people experiencing the same problem as me?
18 >
19 > Perhaps because most use vanilla ssh to manage servers? I have every now
20 > and then used an ssh tunnel to forward VNC connections, but that is
21 > exceptional as far as my usage of ssh goes.
22
23 Well, my setup looks pretty vanilla to me, I did not talk about more
24 sophisticated tunneling stuff. I just have a server and a client, and need
25 to put the XAuthLocation line into the client's config when I want X
26 forwarding.
27
28 I know found out what happened. The old boxes with working forwarding have
29 a /usr/openwin symlink pointing to /usr/X11R6. This makes xauth being
30 found. It belongs to x11-libs/xview, but the last xview update removed the
31 symlink, now X forwarding fails.
32
33 Still no idea why you all do NOT have the problem.
34
35 Alex
36 --
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list