From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When copying an os to new disk
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 2010 21:26:24
1 On Freitag 19 Februar 2010, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I'm currently rsyncing an OS (new gentoo install) from one vmware disk
3 > to a newly created one.
4 >
5 > I know not to copy /proc but not sure about /dev. Looking at an
6 > unbooted OS disk with an install on it... I see /dev/ is populated
7 > (with no boot up), but I recall seeing things during boot like
8 > `populating /dev' (I think).
9 >
10 > So should I copy it over to new disk or not?
11
12 no. You just create /dev/null, /dev/console and /dev/zero.
13
14 Everything else is optional and not needed.
15
16 man mknod will tell you everything you need to know.