From: Xi Shen <davidshen84@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] When copying an os to new disk
Date: Sat, 20 Feb 2010 09:50:56
1 On Sat, Feb 20, 2010 at 5:25 AM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Freitag 19 Februar 2010, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >> I'm currently rsyncing an OS (new gentoo install) from one vmware disk
5 >> to a newly created one.
6 >>
7 >> I know not to copy /proc but not sure about /dev.  Looking at an
8 >> unbooted OS disk with an install on it... I see /dev/ is populated
9 >> (with no boot up), but I recall seeing things during boot like
10 >> `populating /dev' (I think).
11 >>
12 >> So should I copy it over to new disk or not?
13 >
14 > no. You just create /dev/null, /dev/console and /dev/zero.
17 in my experience, only the /dev/null and /dev/console are required.
18 what does the /dev/zero for?
21 > Everything else is optional and not needed.
22 >
23 > man mknod will tell you everything you need to know.
31 Best Regards,
32 David Shen
33
34 http://twitter.com/davidshen84/