From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot see Grub menu
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 07:34:59
1 On Tue, 14 Aug 2012 01:16:05 +0100, Peter Humphrey wrote:
2
3 > > ...unlike grocers' apostrophe's, which crop up everywhere and are far
4 > > more grating for me.
5 >
6 > Agreed, except that I think you mean greengrocers'.
7
8 Both are valid. Greengrocers' is the more common, grocers' is shorter.
9 When you are paid by the word, the difference is important :)
10
11 > I also find that
12 > commas seem to be thrown at random into a piece of prose in the
13 > apparent hope that a few will land where they might do some good.
14
15 I know what you mean, but that is more a matter of style than rules. I
16 have been criticised by editors for using too many and too few.
17
18 > Even
19 > Penrose is sometimes guilty of that. And don't start me on the
20 > egregious Oxford comma.
21
22 I wouldn't dare.
23
24 > Nor on the German insistence on separating the
25 > verb from the object with a comma, as though the action could proceed
26 > without something to act on.
27
28 Different language, different rules. Put another way, I don't speak
29 German so I don't care :)
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 Cross a tagline and a tribble? You get a full HD...