From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [OT] Re: [gentoo-user] Cannot see Grub menu
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2012 00:18:32
1 On Monday 13 August 2012 09:03:38 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2
3 > The confusion arises because, when used with a name, an apostrophe is
4 > needed for a possessive.
5
6 The confusion arises because the apostrophe has two functions, which
7 collide in its/it's. Who can tell /a priori/ which applies in any given
8 case? You just have to know. There's no substitute for a decent
9 education.
10
11 > It is an understandable error...
12
13 Indeed, which is why I don't usually rise to any particular bait.
14
15 > ...unlike grocers' apostrophe's, which crop up everywhere and are far
16 > more grating for me.
17
18 Agreed, except that I think you mean greengrocers'. I also find that
19 commas seem to be thrown at random into a piece of prose in the apparent
20 hope that a few will land where they might do some good. Even Penrose is
21 sometimes guilty of that. And don't start me on the egregious Oxford
22 comma. Nor on the German insistence on separating the verb from the
23 object with a comma, as though the action could proceed without
24 something to act on.
25
26 Even worse is the developing inability to distinguish between singular
27 and plural. Not only that but the growing use of "stuff" shows an
28 inability to distinguish even between what can be counted (number) and
29 what can't (amount). I could find myself in despair if I weren't careful.
32 Rgds
33 Peter