From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4 + python3.1 == no system-config-printer-kde ?
Date: Thu, 16 Jun 2011 00:00:59
1 On Tue, Jun 14, 2011 at 07:38:56PM +0200, Ulrich Drolshagen wrote
2
3 > I'm not Dmitry but I am using 3.1 too. 3.1 is set as default by stage1 for
4 > some time now. No issues with 3.1 here though, at least none that
5 > are related to python. Why do they set it default by stage1 and
6 > warn not to use it at the same time?
7
8 Gentoo does not use that type of install anymore for standard installs.
9 Stage 1 is for experimentation and developers only, not for regular
10 users. The rules that apply to stage 1 do not apply to ordinary
11 installs. See http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/faq.xml#stage12
12
13 > How do I Install Gentoo Using a Stage1 or Stage2 Tarball?
14 >
15 > The Gentoo Handbook only describes a Gentoo installation using
16 > a stage3 tarball. However, Gentoo still provides stage1 and stage2
17 > tarballs. This is for development purposes (the Release Engineering
18 > team starts from a stage1 tarball to obtain a stage3) but shouldn't
19 > be used by users: a stage3 tarball can very well be used to bootstrap
20 > the system. You do need a working Internet connection.
23 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>