From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] EMERGENCY - GCC GONE!
Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2006 04:54:05
1 Lord Sauron wrote:
2 > This is - for me - an emergency. No pun intended.
3 >
4 > I had to get rid of all gcc versions 3.4.5 and greater to work with
5 > gcc in Cygwin on my desktop to speed up the emerge of KDE 3.5 such
6 > that I wouldn't finish when KDE 4.0 was released.
7 >
8 > I gave it some pretty explicit instructions AFTER emerging
9 > gcc-3.4.4-r1. emerge --unmerge gcc-3.4.5 gcc-3.4.5-r1 (the only two
10 > greater that 3.4.4 that I had installed).
11 >
12 > For reasons that I can't fathom, gcc, is now gone. Totally.
13 > Completely. Not there.
14 >
15 > I know some of you are going to be laughing your heads off at what can
16 > only be a gigantic error in syntaxing my command to emerge, however, I
17 > don't find it at all funny. I can't start KDE, I can't emerge gcc to
18 > fix the problem, I can't eix gcc to see what versions of gcc are still
19 > there, and other things. To me it looks like Python is totally
20 > broken. It keeps asking for libstdc++.so.6, which apparently no
21 > longer exists.
22 >
23 > I'm totally and completely devoid of all ideas to fix this problem.
24 > My best idea has been to try and distcc with my desktop a version of
25 > gcc, however, if even emerge --search won't work, I'm willing to bet
26 > that adding FEATURES="distcc" to my make.conf won't do much more than
27 > make a minor footnote in the list of problems I face.
28 >
29 > I'm pretty much scared of having to either 1) reinstall Gentoo or 2)
32 > I'm not sure how violate an idea this is, but I think it might (some
33 > gigantic emphasis on the might part) be possible to take another
34 > generic i386/i686 copy of libstdc++.so.6 and paste it into where it's
35 > needed. I think this might fix the problem so that I can the get
36 > emerge to work enough to distcc my way into patching up my critically
37 > wounded system.
38 >
39 > Before anyone makes me confess, YES! I KILLED MY SYSTEM! However, I
40 > have to defend my pride in saying it wasn't something dumb like
41 > blindly following some rm -r command from some website.
42 >
43 > Any help here would be just great. Thanks for any help you can give in
44 > advance.
45 >
46 Hi,
47 I keep binaries for all major/critical packages of my system - gcc,glibc
48 But their usage depends on processor family, USE flags for gcc etc.
49 Will put a binary tarball of "gcc-3.4.6-r1" (gcc-3.4.6-r1.tbz2)-25MB.
50 CFLAGS="-O2 -march=athlon-xp -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer"
51 sys-devel/gcc-3.4.6-r1 USE="boundschecking fortran gcj gtk nls objc
52 -bootstrap -build -doc -hardened -ip28 -multislot -nocxx -nopie -nossp
53 -vanilla"
54 Place: ftp.qrypto.org
55 PS: to install put it in / (root dir), tar xjvf gcc-3.4.6-r1.tbz2
56 (ignore last massages). Then if lucky remerge any GCC you want.
57 HTH.Rumen

smime.p7s application/x-pkcs7-signature