From: Michael Hampicke <gentoo-user@××××.biz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 12:00:30
1 > What I have on there is videos. When I tried to compress some and test,
2 > it was basically the same size. I guess videos don't compress to much?
5 No videos don't compress well at all, compressing video files is just a
6 waste of cpu cycles :)
7
8 > When I put this in, I'm going to redo the whole thing. Ages ago when I
9 > was green all over and not just around the gills, I created a /data
10 > directory and that is where I stored "stuff". My new plan, the new
11 > drive will become /home and I will be putting things where they should
12 > have been to begin with. I plan to reorganize this whole mess I created
13 > ages ago. That video directory is HUGE tho.
14 >
15 > root@fireball / # du -shc /data/Videos/
16 > 703G /data/Videos/
17 > 703G total
18 > root@fireball / #
19 >
20 > While I am at it. You should have a good answer for this one. What is
21 > a good file system for this sort of thing? I been using ext4 but it
22 > sure does use a lot of space for its overhead. As far as files go, most
23 > will likely be videos. I do have other files but when compared to the
24 > number of videos, they are close to nothing. The files system for the
25 > current 1Tb, spread across two drives with LVM, uses about 75Gbs for the
26 > file system thingy. That's a pretty good bit to me. I may lose more
27 > than 200Gbs on this 3Tb drive. O_O
28
29 I use XFS on my NAS-Box for the drives that only hold video files and I
30 am pretty happy with it. The advantage of XFS is, that it is very fast
31 when working with large files. For everything else I use ext4, pretty
32 happy with that too.