From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Want to seriously test a NEW hard drive
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2012 11:26:55
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Mon, 06 Aug 2012 04:42:17 -0500, Dale wrote:
3 >
4 >> P. S. What is a good way to back up something this large BESIDES
5 >> another drive the same size or larger?
6 > A smaller drive, backups can be compressed. Also, you don't need to
7 > backup everything, for example rips of DVDs and CDs you own can be
8 > recreated. If you organise your data to separate stuff that needs to be
9 > backed up from that which doesn't you can reduce the amount of space
10 > needed.
11 >
12 > Factor in that you won't be filling this drive for a while and that you
13 > don't need maximum performance from a backup drive and you'll almost
14 > certainly get by with using your old drive(s).
15 >
16 > Really important stuff should be stored offsite, Amazon S3 gives the best
17 > value for me.
21 What I have on there is videos. When I tried to compress some and test,
22 it was basically the same size. I guess videos don't compress to much?
23
24 When I put this in, I'm going to redo the whole thing. Ages ago when I
25 was green all over and not just around the gills, I created a /data
26 directory and that is where I stored "stuff". My new plan, the new
27 drive will become /home and I will be putting things where they should
28 have been to begin with. I plan to reorganize this whole mess I created
29 ages ago. That video directory is HUGE tho.
30
31 root@fireball / # du -shc /data/Videos/
32 703G /data/Videos/
33 703G total
34 root@fireball / #
35
36 While I am at it. You should have a good answer for this one. What is
37 a good file system for this sort of thing? I been using ext4 but it
38 sure does use a lot of space for its overhead. As far as files go, most
39 will likely be videos. I do have other files but when compared to the
40 number of videos, they are close to nothing. The files system for the
41 current 1Tb, spread across two drives with LVM, uses about 75Gbs for the
42 file system thingy. That's a pretty good bit to me. I may lose more
43 than 200Gbs on this 3Tb drive. O_O
44
45 Thanks.
46
47 Dale
48
52 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or how you interpreted my words!