From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Switching from eudev to udev, disaster.
Date: Tue, 30 Nov 2021 19:58:38
1 Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 11/28/21 9:50 AM, Jack wrote:
3 >> The network name switch ... is not directly due to eudev vs. udev,
4 >> but to the "new" ... switch to consistent naming ... so your network
5 >> is probably something like enp20s2, reflecting which slot your
6 >> network card is physically in.
7 >
8 > Except I've had multiple instances where the supposed to be consistent
9 > naming is anything but consistent.  I don't know if it was a udev
10 > issue or something else.  But I've seen the actual address of cards in
11 > the system change based on what other cards are added to / removed
12 > from the system.  It seems as if the motherboard re-configured
13 > addressing with the hardware change.  E.g. NIC1 in PCIe slot A and
14 > NIC2 in PCIe slot C. NIC2 changed from (hypothetical) enp20s2 to
15 > enp16s2 when NIC1 was removed from PCIe slot A.
16 >
17 > So ... if the new naming scheme isn't consistent, then I'm not going
18 > to give it the time of day.  I'd rather have the older and simpler
19 > inconsistent naming scheme (eth#) vs the newer and more annoying
20 > scheme en{po}\d\d{,s}{,1,2,3}.
21 >
22 > The epiphany when is aw that the supposedly consistent names weren't
23 > was a real son of a REDACTED moment.
24 >
25 >> I'm pretty sure there is a kernel boot parameter which forces the old
26 >> way, but can't find it now, as I switched to the new naming with
27 >> eudev, so switching to udev didn't break anything for me.
28 >
29 > As Neil B. pointed out, "net.ifnames=0" is now on all my kernel boot
30 > lines (for the above reason).
36 What I noticed in dmesg is that it takes the old name, eth0 for example,
37 and then renames it to the new name.  Well, if one moves things around
38 and eth0 becomes eth3 then doesn't that mess up the new name as well?
39 That could be why you see the results you have.  It's hard to base a
40 name on something that is changing itself.  It would seem to me that if
41 they were going to change things for real, they would change what the
42 kernel names it in the beginning and it uses the name it was first given
43 based on slot or something else unique.  In other words, have the kernel
44 assign it enp2s3 or whatever when booting and that is the only name it
45 gets.
46
47 I don't change much hardware often so it doesn't affect me but I'm sure
48 there are people, maybe even large companies/orgs that it does and it
49 could be a issue for them.  It could even be a security issue if two
50 nics gets switched and one has a lot of security and the other doesn't.
51
52 Either way, I'm up and running again.  Even rebuilt my backup kernels to
53 include the drivers this morning.  I just hope nothing comes back and
54 bites me later.  :/  I was a bit lost there for a while.
55
56 Dale
57