From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: mounting USB devices on qemu at run time
Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2019 06:54:47
1 On Saturday, 12 October 2019 19:35:07 BST you wrote:
2 > I used to be able to add a driver on the command line launching qemu and
3 > then being able to mount/unmount USB devices using the qemu monitor CLI.
4 > Either I have forgotten the correct syntax, or something changed with
5 > qemu-4.0.0-r50 and I am no longer able to get USB devices to be recognised
6 > on a Windows guest.
7 >
8 > Here are the relevant lines in the terminal:
9 >
10 > -device qemu-xhci,id=xhci \
11 > -device usb-host,id=Garmin,vendorid=0x091e,productid=0x28db
12 >
13 > On the monitor I get:
14 >
15 > (qemu) info usb
16 > Device 1.0, Port 1, Speed 1.5Mb/s, Product USB Host Device, ID: Garmin
17 >
18 > but I am not seeing this coming up in the guest as a USB device and trying
19 > various permutations on the monitor CLI with 'device_add ...' does not get
20 > me anywhere.
21 >
22 > Google has not helped so far, because many pages simply list deprecated
23 > commands from years ago. Would you know how I could mount and unmount
24 > devices at will in runtime?
25
26 OK, the problem was access rights. The device was recognised as root:usb
27 instead of GROUP="plugdev". So, I set this udev rule in the host and it now
28 works:
29
30 ATTRS{idVendor}=="091e", ATTRS{idProduct}=="28db", MODE="660", GROUP="plugdev"
33 Regards,
34
35 Mick