From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What's with all these "acct-group" ebuilds recently?
Date: Sat, 27 Jun 2020 01:51:33
1 On 6/26/20 4:36 PM, Jack wrote:
2 > On 2020.06.26 16:03, james wrote:
3 >> On 6/26/20 12:38 PM, Daniel Frey wrote:
4 >>> On 6/20/20 7:04 PM, William Kenworthy wrote:
5 >>>> Thanks for filing the bug.
6 >>>
7 >>> Gah! I forgot about this!
8 >>>
9 >>> I filed a bug now, I hope I made it clear enough. Others can pipe in
10 >>> there with comments if they like.
11 >>>
12 >>> I did indicate the two potential proposals to correct the issue in
13 >>> the bug itself.
14 >>>
15 >>> https://bugs.gentoo.org/729752
16 >>>
17 >>> Dan
18 >>
19 >> BEFORE I contribute to this bug, I'm posting here to see if others are
20 >> or have interest, in my thoughts on this issue and my related needs
21 >> for extreme security, via Gentoo. Below is far from complete, but it
22 >> only provides a very snippets of my (secure) pathway forward with Gentoo.
23 >>
24 >> Interesting thread, thanks to all contributors. I'd like to add 'my
25 >> selfish' interest, as they also be espoused by other, more focused,
26 >> gentoo users.
27 >>
28 >> INTRO:
29 >>
30 >> I rarely build gentoo systems, for many reasons, that are not pretty
31 >> singularly focused. It drastically reduces security, performance and
32 >> upgrade issues. For me, the days of a any system, having groups or
33 >> users, are in the history books of very bad ideas. uP are so cheap and
34 >> less than $100, gets you a very 'bad ass' computer (Rasp. Pi 4+) 16 G
35 >> map-able ram. Furthermore, SOON, usb_4 devices are going to obsolete
36 >> the entire concept of a 'hard drive'; hence the death (my prediction)
37 >> of groups and users on multi-USER systems, albeit slowly.
38 >>
39 >> Multi-function, Multi-tasking, and light weight, focused transient
40 >> clusters are the future. YMMV.
43 >> So solving a problem, that was real and big, decades ago, fails to
44 >> look at the future. For me, Gentoo is future proof. I suggest a well
45 >> documented pathway forward; totally without the concept of groups and
46 >> users, on a typical, highly secure system. Which is now the baseline
47 >> for real systems, particularly with a ipv4 or ipv6 static ip, that
48 >> provide focused and highly restricted functionalities. CA servers are
49 >> going private, as the public and root CA servers, are suspect, at
50 >> best, as to being pristinely secure. Yes boys and girls most
51 >> Certificate Authorities are HACK! Even the main root CAs.
52 >>
53 >> The F. Feds are the original culprits, but now it is a feeding frenzy.
54 >> The planet is now hacked, and groups and users concepts are the past.
55 >> imho! Danger Will Robinson Danger!
56 >>
57 >> So can some of the smarter (gentoo) folks illuminate how to totally
58 >> avoid groups and users, except for the minimum required, application
59 >> specific? For example like serial line tools, or outline a set of
60 >> tweaks/setting to avoid these altogether?
61 >>
62 >> I build embedded G. systems. I build single purpose G systems. I build
63 >> security G. systems (often with the ethernet, in only listen mode. I
64 >> build G. Firewalls.
65 >> I build G. highly restricted/filtered servers. NONE of those need
66 >> users or groups. And if they do, I can obfuscate codes to provide that
67 >> need, to where filters and focused software gets what it needs to
68 >> provide functions.
69 >>
70 >> Yep, I'm moving to a total 'State_Machine_design' for critical
71 >> services. Strip out every thing else.....
72 >>
73 >> Am I alone, or have/are others contemplating such high secure
74 >> pathways? I'd be fantastic to find a kernel hacker that is on the
75 >> pathway of extreme minimization too; private email is fine; if that is
76 >> in your wheel_house.
79 >> curiously alone?,
80 >> James
81 > While you may not be alone, I do believe you're in a rather small
82 > group.? There are probably more who are interested in watching it
83 > progress than who can actually participate and contribute.? And while
84 > what you propose may well be part of the future, and it may even be a
85 > large part of it, it won't be so anywhere near soon enough to avoid the
86 > need to continue to improve current systems, even if the improvements
87 > are only usability related, and not directly related to security.
88
89 Yep, Yep Yep.
90
91 Um, now covid hit. We've been promised much more from the next 'virus'.
92 Massive security problems, for all OSes, dispersed computational issues
93 and such. So, a vision (dream?) of total self sufficiency, with packets
94 of really secure content traversing the fibers of the world, and a few
95 smart, empower techies running a given hub, sure we can solve the
96 security issues. However, the big webs are mere wide spots on the
97 highway and should readily be "dynamically" replaceable; never
98 critically necessary for any astute user.
99
100 And the F. Feds and their overseas counterpart?
101 Are left behind in the dust, for good. I think you'll see a US
102 presidential candidate, whom constitutionally, recognzes the US citizens
103 have a fundamental (God given?) right to superior security, as long as
104 they have a very clean legal record. Boy that's a twist: well behave
105 citizens get superior security righs to F. Feds? Boy, that's going to be
106 a popular idea, methinks. Actually, there are many Christian lawyers,
107 who know of ancient documents and USA historical documents and letters
108 that expound on those documents, where this is well established. NO
109 questions atm. Let folks do their own research.
110
111 We'll get there sooner than you expect...... Bank on it!
112 WE have to, otherwise the US banking system is DOA.
113
114 > This
115 > current issue is nothing more than an annoyance, but it's a major
116 > annoyance for many Gentoo users, possibly more-so for the more casual
117 > users.? (Is "casual Gentoo user" an oxymoron?)? As the bug proposes,
118 > there are ways of solving it without decreasing security.
119 > Jack
122 Jack, Jack, Jack.
123
124 VIVA LA REVELUTION!
125 and you started it all?
128 The USA is currently the longest standing government. The stench of what
129 "our" legal system has become, well it's insufferable even by many of
130 the brilliant legal minds whom have pretty much had enough of the big
131 corporations running destructively, over what rights the founders of
132 this great nation intended.
133
134 Lawyers, above the law? That needs to be fixed, yesterday. WE, the folks
135 in good standing, have rights that supersede the legal morass of what
136 the judiciary and executive branch have done by giving our rights away
137 to the Corporations.
138
139 Be long, Be strong, but most importantly, Be for the benefit of equality
140 of all. Rights to privacy are fundamental rights and I'd remind everyone
141 that many have died for OUR RIGHTS.
144 hth,
145 James