From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 09:46:01
1 On Tuesday 16 November 2010 10:33:34 Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I have an up-to-date ~amd64 GenToo installation with has been
5 > built on a current AMD64 (Phenom II) machine where I used
6 > -mtune=native in etc/make.conf since I didn't think of the case
7 > that I would need to port this system to a somewhat older Opteron
8 > based machine (still AMD64)
9 >
10 > But after cloning the system, some fundamental utilities die of
11 > an illegal instruction. So I have to rebuild GenToo nearly
12 > from scratch. emerge -e world doesn't work.
13 >
14 > So, what is a reasonably fast method?
15 >
16 > I'd like to keep
17 > /etc
18 > /usr/portage except /usr/portage/packages
19 > /var/lib/portage
20 >
21 > Is there a fast method e.g. by using the Gentoo based
22 > SystemRescueCD to reinstall a very basic system, such that
23 > I can do emerge -e world.
24 > It looks as if the gcc tool-chain is intact since I could
25 > compile a kernel without any problem.
26 > But some utilities, e.g. find, die of an illegal instruction.
27 >
28 > Many thanks for any hints saving me a couple of hours work,
29 >
30 > Helmut.
31
32 Ok, the following is NOT tested, but might work:
33 1) boot with a systemrescuecd
34 2) backup the sytem (I did not test this)
35 3) create a chroot-space for a new install (don't worry, not doing full
36 install)
37 4) unpack a stage3
38 5) chroot into this
39 6) build packages from this stage3
40 7) chroot into the install to be fixed
41 8) emerge these packages onto your current system (this should contain all you
42 need for "system")
43 9) emerge -e world
44
45 If there is anyone who has actually been in this situation, please feel free
46 to comment on this.
47 Also, I'm not certain what will happen to /etc, but the etc-update script can
48 be told to keep existing configurations.
51 Joost