From: wabenbau@×××××.com
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Anyone using xfce4 with compositing turned off?
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 02:09:34
1 walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm seeing horrible performance from the xfce window manager (xfwm4)
4 > on my main, everyday machine, but not on an older backup machine or
5 > on any of the linux virtual machines I run on virtualbox.
6 >
7 > The symptoms: moving a window with the mouse is so slow as to be
8 > painful, and the CPU usage (on one of four CPUs) jumps to 100% almost
9 > immediately (xfwm4 is the culprit, see below).
10
11 I'm using XFCE as DE and xfwm4 as WM. Since I bought a new GPU (Radeon
12 R7 250), I don't use compositing any more because it causes tearing
13 when I watch videos in fullscreen with 3840x2160. With this GPU I also
14 had some random freezes when compositing was enabled.
15
16 Beside this, performance is very good, regardless compositing is enabled
17 or disabled. Scrolling text or moving windows around is a bit faster and
18 smoother with compositing enabled, especially when other windows are in
19 the foreground.
20
21 With my old GPU (Radeon HD4550) I always had compositing enabled.
22 Everything was smoother and I saw absolutely no glitches, but performance
23 was also good with compositing disabled, just not quite as smooth as with
24 compositing enabled.
25
26 > If I open an xterm and run (for example) "/usr/bin/marco --replace",
27 > this sluggish behavior returns to normal immediately.
28 >
29 > After wasting hours on google I finally noticed that I had compiled
30 > x11-wm/xfwm4 with the xcomposite useflag disabled, so I enabled it and
31 > re-emerged xfwm4.
32 >
33 > Now I can get decent performance from xfwm4, but only if first I turn
34 > on compositing by running xfwm4-tweaks-settings. (No, not by running
35 > the puny and feeble xfwm4-settings app: I need to invoke a "tweak"
36 > to make xfce4 an acceptable Desktop Environment on my main desktop
37 > machine.
38
39 As long as I use XFCE (many years) xfwm4-tweaks-settings is the program
40 to toggle compositing. It's just a name, what is the problem? :-)
41 Or do you mean, that you must enable compositing every time you start
42 XFCE?
43
44 > <official rant mode>
45 > I remember going through this same frustration with gnome3, which was
46 > (and is) unusable without installing the gnome-tweak-tool package and
47 > using it to customize settings that I still don't understand.
48 >
49 > (That's why I finally gave up on gnome3, and I may yet give up on
50 > xfce4 and go back to mate.)
51 >
52 > Note that I'm not turning off <official rant mode> yet, but I should
53 > mention that this machine is ~amd64 with ati-drivers-15.7 and vanilla
54 > kernel 3.14.51. (Same problem with gentoo-sources-3.18.19, BTW.)
55
56 I'm using stable xf86-video-ati and stable hardened-sources. I never used
57 ati-drivers because I don't like to have proprietary software on my
58 gentoo box. For me xf86-video-ati works well and has a sufficient 2D and
59 3D performance.
62 Regards
63 wabe