From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone using xfce4 with compositing turned off?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 02:08:32
1 On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 04:08:41 +0200
2 <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I'm using XFCE as DE and xfwm4 as WM. Since I bought a new GPU (Radeon
5 > R7 250), I don't use compositing any more because it causes tearing
6 > when I watch videos in fullscreen with 3840x2160. With this GPU I
7 > also had some random freezes when compositing was enabled.
8 >
9 > Beside this, performance is very good, regardless compositing is
10 > enabled or disabled. Scrolling text or moving windows around is a bit
11 > faster and smoother with compositing enabled, especially when other
12 > windows are in the foreground.
13 >
14 > With my old GPU (Radeon HD4550) I always had compositing enabled.
15 > Everything was smoother and I saw absolutely no glitches, but
16 > performance was also good with compositing disabled, just not quite
17 > as smooth as with
18
19 I forgot about xf86-video-ati until you mentioned it, so I just emerged
20 it and (I think) made all the changes needed to reconfigure Xorg to use
21 it instead of fglrx.
22
23 Maybe I'm just too tired right now to think straight, but the error
24 messages I see in Xorg.log tell me that my video chip is not supported.
25
26 But, in the process of switching to xf86-video-ati and then back again
27 to fglrx I noticed this error message from xfwm4:
28
29 "Error opening /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory"
30
31 Correct, I have no /dev/dri directory. Do you have one?