From: bitlord <bitlord0xff@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Anyone using xfce4 with compositing turned off?
Date: Sun, 23 Aug 2015 03:53:52
1 On Sat, 2015-08-22 at 19:08 -0700, walt wrote:
2 > On Sat, 22 Aug 2015 04:08:41 +0200
3 > <wabenbau@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 > > I'm using XFCE as DE and xfwm4 as WM. Since I bought a new GPU
6 > > (Radeon
7 > > R7 250), I don't use compositing any more because it causes tearing
8 > > when I watch videos in fullscreen with 3840x2160. With this GPU I
9 > > also had some random freezes when compositing was enabled.
10 > >
11 > > Beside this, performance is very good, regardless compositing is
12 > > enabled or disabled. Scrolling text or moving windows around is a
13 > > bit
14 > > faster and smoother with compositing enabled, especially when other
15 > > windows are in the foreground.
16 > >
17 > > With my old GPU (Radeon HD4550) I always had compositing enabled.
18 > > Everything was smoother and I saw absolutely no glitches, but
19 > > performance was also good with compositing disabled, just not quite
20 > > as smooth as with
21 >
22 > I forgot about xf86-video-ati until you mentioned it, so I just
23 > emerged
24 > it and (I think) made all the changes needed to reconfigure Xorg to
25 > use
26 > it instead of fglrx.
27 >
28 > Maybe I'm just too tired right now to think straight, but the error
29 > messages I see in Xorg.log tell me that my video chip is not
30 > supported.
31 >
32 > But, in the process of switching to xf86-video-ati and then back
33 > again
34 > to fglrx I noticed this error message from xfwm4:
35 >
36 > "Error opening /dev/dri/card0: No such file or directory"
37 >
38 > Correct, I have no /dev/dri directory. Do you have one?
41 For radeon (free driver) you need to configure more than Xorg, check
42 wiki article about radeon driver [1], It needs in kernel support, also
43 most cards especially "newer" (>=r600) need proprietary firmware.
46 [1] https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Radeon