From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gnome doesn't shutdown
Date: Fri, 23 Oct 2009 21:56:53
1 At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 23:04:04 +0200 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Friday 23 October 2009 20:38:27 Manuel Fiorelli wrote:
4 >> 2009/10/23 Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>:
5 >> > At Fri, 23 Oct 2009 17:23:21 +0200 Manuel Fiorelli
6 > <manuel.fiorelli@×××××.com> wrote:
7 >> >> Hello,
8 >> >> I noticed that Gnome doesn't shutdown anymore. When I press
9 >> >
10 >> > I recently had a problem where the evolution data server didn't die
11 >>
12 >> Unfortunately, it doesn't solve my problem. How did you understand
13 >> that it is evolution
14 >> to prevent Gnome from shutting down?
17 > Maybe becuase evolution has historically been an unstable piece of complete
18 > shit that crashes often and corrupts thing, so he investigated it first and
19 > got lucky?
20
21 Or maybe it was because he finds it so useful that he didn't consider
22 not using it and investigated (via lsof | grep bin) what was still
23 around that should be. In my case I think (but am not sure) the
24 situation was that I couldn't unmount /usr so couldn't halt cleanly.
25 I went to single user mode and lsof | grep bin pointed me at esd and
26 evolution-data-server.
27
28 allan