From: Ward Poelmans <wpoely86@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Writing a bash script or thinking about it anyway.
Date: Tue, 22 Dec 2009 15:58:12
1 On Tue, Dec 22, 2009 at 16:39, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 22 Dec 2009 16:08:18 +0100, Ward Poelmans wrote:
3 >
4 >> You should take a look at rsnapshot ( http://rsnapshot.org/ ). I use
5 >> it and it works perfectly. But it's written in perl and not bash, i'm
6 >> afraid.
7 >
8 > That misses the point. This isn't really about making backups, it's about
9 > learning to write shell scripts. Backing up is just the project that Dale
10 > has chosen for this first effort, at least that's how I read it.
11
12 Sorry, i've read the original message a bit too fast. But it's still
13 worth to take a look at how rsnapshot works if you want to write
14 anything yourself. I think that the combination of rsync and hardlinks
15 is quite effective and fast.
16
17 Ward